28 August 2011

fruit

too full from knott's chicken to sleep, so i looked up the strange melon that i bought this week...it was a santa claus melon, and it was pretty good...the flesh is crunchier almost like a cucumber instead of a cantaloupe or honeydew melon...



tasted similar to honeydew but a little less sweet...since i need to get groceries, i'll look for some more fruit that i haven't tried...i remember seeing some star fruit at the market, but that was about as exotic as it got...maybe some chermoyas...berkeley bowl had a decent variety of exotic fruit...i used to stop by after work by the ashby bart station...looked up exotic fruit and these two sites had some that looked interesting...

http://www.oddee.com/item_97133.aspx
http://blog.hotelclub.com/10-must-try-exotic-fruits/

this is partially poisonous...seems a little risky...may have to try it while at a hospital or get life alert

dragon fruit...i might be able to get this at a market

kiwano...doesn't look very tasty but worth trying..i think i saw this at a market as well

rambutan...looks more like a sea anemone than a fruit, but if it's like lychee, then it's probably good

always see star fruit at the market but never tried it
durian...supposed to stink, but might be good

jack fruit...i think i saw this at the market, but what it was or how to eat it...i'll get it if they still have it

mangosteen...has mango in the name...can't be that bad
my shopping list for tomorrow


2 comments:

  1. So what did you buy? :)

    I've tried a few of these -- rambutan (so good, definitely has a lychee vibe - but to me, it tastes better), jackfruit (aka langka - really good, kinda stringy), and mangosteen (I honestly can't remember what this tasted like but it was good). I think I've also tried starfruit -- if I remember correctly, it reminded me of an apple.

    My most favorite fruit that's not available in the US is lansones. I always have it when I'm in the Philippines. So yum. I wish we had it here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had to look up lansones...i'll keep an eye out for those too

    ReplyDelete